Ah! Finally! A Day For Myself!

Posted: September 4, 2010 in Uncategorized
Tags: , , , , , ,

The dawn cracked me up this morning. Not that I was laughing, but isn’t that what you’re supposed to say when you wake up at the crack of dawn, or as somebody I know, whose name I won’t mention says, the butt crack of dawn (obviously somebody who doesn’t love mornings as much as I do)?

Anyway, today started unseasonably cool, and it was a welcome relief from all the humidity we’ve been experiencing. I felt GREAT!

Today – finally – I could set aside most of the day to write. No hint of an electrical storm to prevent me from writing, nothing I could foresee that would destroy my plans – just a day to write – ahhhhhh.

So, just before 6 a.m. I got out my laptop, opened it up, spent a couple of hours weeding through garbage emails, and then started to type. Before I finished the sentence, I heard, “Mom?”

Brittney, my youngest daughter (who, along with her husband and children, lives with me), told me that Audrey, my granddaughter, had been up all night vomiting. Her husband was already gone for his tournament and she wanted to know if I would mind keeping Audrey home with me while she dropped Nolan off with his other grandmother, because she had previously made plans for the weekend and she wanted to keep them.

Bye bye, writing – again – I thought. But wait – I have an eye doctor appointment later this afternoon – I can’t watch a sick child, even if she is my own grandchild. Fast forward to later this morning – Audrey was feeling better, so Brittney left and I danced my little freedom dance before sitting down at my laptop.

Several minutes into sorting through the articles and blogs I had to type or wanted to type, I got a phone call from an unidentified phone number. It was Brittney. “Mom, would you mind calling a couple of stores in the mall for me? I lost my phone and I’m all the way out in Danville already.”

Hmpfh. OK, I relented, what’s a couple of minutes, right?

Not wanting to waste time calling if the phone was somewhere in the house, I conducted a thorough search through the living room, kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, living rooms, and dining room. I even when outside, front and back, to search our parking spaces. Nowhere.

So I looked up whitepages.com to find the local numbers for Forever 21 and The Loft. Couldn’t find The Loft. Didn’t know it was supposed to be Ann Taylor Loft, but even after I found out it was called, “Ann Taylor Loft” I couldn’t find it listed in the online phone directory.

Several hours later (slight exaggeration), after I listened to recording after recording after recording after recording, I found the number for management and the number for what our mall calls just Loft. I then called all of the numbers, reported the phone missing, and was told by everybody that nobody had the phone.

After reaching a dead end, I returned to my computer only to get another phone call from my daughter telling me she may have left her phone at the gas station.

Life on pause again. Anybody who has ever tried to call a gas station knows how frustrating it is to call a gas station. Why? Because you have to know the owner’s name in order to get a phone number for the gas station. Neither of us knew the owner’s name.

So I drove to the gas station, left my name and number, and got back into my car.

As I was pulling away, Brittney called. “Forever 21 found my phone,” she said.

“Since I’m already in my car,” I told Brittney, “tell me how to get there and I’ll pick it up for you.” (I hate shopping, so I don’t know where these stores are located.)

What’s a couple of minutes, right?

So I drove to the mall and looked for a parking space. For some reason everybody on the planet was shopping at my local mall. I couldn’t find a spot anywhere. So I kept driving. And driving. And driving.

As the sun was setting (just kidding)…I found a parking space a couple of towns away and walked several miles to the mall. Just kidding again. It was really only about the distance of two blocks.

I headed home with images of completing some of the articles and blogs I had begun when all of a sudden a bus – you know, one of the BIG ones – pulled right in front of me – FROM THE RIGHT LANE TO CROSS TWO LANES to make a LEFT HAND TURN!

My eyes shot out of their sockets. My heart jumped into my throat. I looked to my left. I looked to my right, watching the bus come dangerously close to me. I couldn’t swerve to my left because the car in front of me had just gotten into the left turn lane and had stopped.

I was in the middle lane, you (SWEAR WORD SWEAR WORD SWEAR WORD) bus driver. Did you think you could just jump right in front of me? Unbelievable!

Apparently he had at least a micro brain, because when he saw that I had nowhere to go, he backed off.  was still hyperventilating. SWEAR WORD SWEAR WORD SWEAR WORD!

After I removed my heart from my throat and calmed down, I drove on and decided I was not going to allow interruptions to ruin this beautiful day. After all, you would think I would be used to them by now. And so, here it is 2:30 in the afternoon and I have just completed my second blog for the day.

If you would like to read the first one, you’ll find it linked under this title, The Story of the Goldfish.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s